Building Cross-University Alliances that Enhance Research
July 26-28, 1999
This was the third annual retreat in the series: The Research Mission of Public Universities. Thirty-two administrators and senior faculty scientists came from the four-corner states of Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and Missiouri.
Topics in 1999 included:
- Managing intellectual property
- Graduate education: how the relationships between universities benefit our students
- Creating a science network between institutions
- Developing a competitive edge through multi-state collaboration
- Collective action in the face of the crisis in scholarly publishing
Our keynote speaker was Dr. Luis Proenza, President of the University of Akron in Ohio. He encouraged participants to think in terms of "strategic intent" and described important precedents for university-industry cooperation and alliances between universities.